Saturday, April 21, 2007

Good Night, and Good Luck aka Depression

Last Night Neil and I watched a really good movie " Good Night and Good Luck " co-written by George Clooney.
It was an excellent film and I would recommend it to anyone. It focuses on one television show's fight against the unreasonable restrictive public association laws in America in the Cold War , particularly advocated by one Senator.
Of course there was a direct parallel as to what is happening currently under the Bush regime in the so called war against terror and the implication is obviously that "we" are failing to fight it as we should.
It ended with a very moving quote , talking about the television, but which could be equally paralleled to the internet ( and I am paraphrasing here because I cannot remember word for word) :
" This box can be used to educate , to enlighten, to bring freedom, but only if we allow it. Without that that it becomes a meaningless bundle of flicking tubes and lights . Good Night and Good Luck."

It was in so many ways such a strong indictment on our current apathetic society that I had to write about it.
It really touched me because yesterday I was handing out food parcels ( for work ) in Kya Sands. This is one of the groups Optimus distributes to. The people I distribute to are HIV positive , unemployed , live without running water or any sustainable source of food ....... and yet this misery starts to fade compared to Zimbabwe , Chad , Dafour , ....
I feel that we talk and talk and talk but nobody ever does anything ( myself include). That is why this movie touched me.
Good Weekend and good luck .. the Angie in despair purple

1 comment:

Michael F said...

hmmm, I think I know what you mean, you should try living in the "first world" where apathy is a national past time, well, apart from lager, football and gossip :-)

We seem to have missed it here in the UK already, but will add it to my DVD movie list :-)